Friday, November 30, 2007

Aiden's Comprehension

Okay, I know he is only three, BUT....
We are having a problem with Aiden that I am sure everyone goes through, but it is driving us crazy. He cannot take NO for an answer! I know...he's a kid...but it gets him in trouble. We are trying to teach him when we say No, No means No and not to continue asking. This has been going on for a while and isn't really getting better. FI - Last night, we had gotten home late and were trying to rush into bed. We always read books. He picked out one of the big, long books and we both told him NO, let's read a different, shorter book (because it was passed bed time...Mommy and daddy know best, right) So Rick told him, "If you ask for the big book one more time you are getting a spanking..understand?" "Yes, Ma'am..." (with a whine) THEN..."But I REALLY want to read the big book." Here comes the spanking. Lots of crying and pitching a fit, explanation of spanking, explanation of DO NOT ASK AGAIN....settle down for the reading of short book.... THEN..."BUT I REALLY REALLY WANT to read the big book...." Second spanking...more crying...more screaming...more explaning, more talking. Finally, at the end of the short book and lots of hugs, kisses, explanation of disobeying, Aiden says, "Daddy, I am really sorry for asking for the big book. I really am sorry." BREAK MY HEART!

So, he knows better, but he had rather get a spanking and continue to TRY to get his way than stop asking. Any suggestions or is this a phase?

2 comments:

Kayla said...

He is adorable!!!

Anonymous said...

It's a phase, and it's short-lived as long as you're consistent! Jack (being my child) was the same way. Now he'll say, "Is this up for discussion?" And honestly, when he says that I sometimes realize that I said "no" for no reason, and I'll let him plead his case. Other times, no meant no, and I tell him that. I may get an "Aw, Mom!" but it's respectful and with a smile. AS with everything else - consistency is the key to short-lived phases! Jodi