Saturday, January 2, 2010

It's All Perception

Long time huh? Sorry guys, you all know how it is. Kids, holidays, birthday party...the list goes on and on and my busy schedule uses all of my energy. I can only blog or facebook after bedtime and that has been crazy lately. I have chosen sleep (little of it anyway).

Lots to catch up on, but I want to post my thoughts first. We began our first day of the 2010 Upward season at Sulphur Springs today. It went well. Rick and I, as well as others, play a huge role in the process of organization and such for the league. For those of you who know me, you know that I stress of the small stuff (hey, I read the book...it didn't help. LOL). Even when I try not to, I am detail oriented and it matters to me! Of course, God would see otherwise. But, I didn't consult with Him immediately. Long story short, my lesson learned or reminded of this last week has been..."It's all about Perception." It took my son to really drive this in. After stressing of getting three kids out of bed, ready, preparing all of my duties, camera ready, etc., I was pretty wired. When we finally sat down to watch Aiden's first game, I had Allee crying for a pop tart (which I brought) Evan crying for Daddy and Aiden, (who were on the game bench) and I was trying to get the video ready, while answering questions about the flow of game day and eating my sausage biscuit and Mt. Dew. It was starting out wonderfully! Well, because of the busy sch., I haven't been to any practices. Rick had warned me that Aiden may not do great. I had already decided that I wasn't going to push him to perfection on this, as long as he was having fun. However, when my son was "dancing" around his opponent and had no clue that the game was even going on, I admit, frustration set in. Sadly, I will probably be ashamed of myself when I re-watch the video. Let's just say, I wasn't encouraging enough. I called Aiden over at half time and said, "Son, can you stop "dancing" around the players and try to get to the ball?" So innocently, he looked up at me and said, "Mom, I'm not dancing, I'm showing them my moves." I relaxed then and realized, it's all about perception. Later, when it was time for the "star presentation", Aiden was presented his star last, but he received the only white star issued- Christlike. His little fist went up in the air as he mouthed "YES!" Afterward, he told me his favorite part was when he scored the goal (he never shot the ball--LOL). I finally got the nerve to ask him what goal was he talking about, and he was talking about when someone passed him the ball and he passed it on!

Now, if that doesn't put things into perspective, I don't know what will. It brought me down a notch! He had a ball and didn't even notice anything negative. I pray that I would put my negativity aside so that my children and others can always find the positive. For those of you who always find the postitive, pat yourself on the back. You deserve it! For those of you who don't, let's make a new year's resolution to do better.

2 comments:

kimberly t. bowling said...

Loved the post...I know just how you feel! :) Have fun--these moments pass too fast!

Courtney Long said...

amen, sister! dave is always saying that i'm a glass half-empty kind of person while his glass is always half-full! love you.