Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Corn is a vegetable....by Aiden

Life is busy at house. I know it is for you all too. Wednesdays are especially busy due to church. I try to get everything done before hand so the kids can go straight to bed afterward. Today, Aiden claims he was starving to death and couldn't get homework (reviewing numbers, writing and reading) accomplished until after a snack. I told him he could have a snack before I even thought about how close it was to supper, due to earlier eating for church night. He already had asked for chips and I was trying to convince him to eat a fruit instead so that he wouldn't spoil his appetite. As I was convincing, I stumbled across a small bag of corn chips and had a brain loss or something and asked if he wanted those. He said, "What are they Mama?" "Corn chips," I said. A big smile and eyebrow raise came across his face. "Mama, that will be good for me to eat, because corn is a vegetable and vegetables are good for you." He turned his little self around and marched off eating his healthy snack, never to know any different.

He has already learned so much in school. He has a wonderful teacher. I can't believe how he is picking up on the reading already. His teacher has them do a writing journal. They have to draw a picture and then write a sentence about the picture. She was sharing his folder (which stays in class) with us at open house. She encourages them to write the words they are trying to say, even if they don't know how. It is so cute to see the way they spell things. I am really amazed that she even knows what he means in the "sentences". One picture he drew and the sentence was "I went to church." He had drawn a stick man at a pulpit, (daddy of course) and several pews (straight lines) with stick people on them facing the preacher. Pretty impressive. He had packed the church full of as many stick people that would fit on the pew! That's what I like. Seeing a child with a heart for God! LOL!

Seriously, we have been studying obedience in Children's Church and it is really making a difference in my kids. We have tried reward charts before and they haven't worked, but along with prayer and a revived heart on my part, we have started getting stickers on a chart each time I "catch" them being obeidient...without whining, stomping, or a bad attitude. Their behavior overall has been better. We still have our fights, but it is a work in progess. Thank you Jesus. You are so good to us and we are so undeserving!

2 comments:

The Cannons said...

We are blessed beyond measure. I've been using that excuse due to the season and my addicition to "Candy CORN".ha

kimberly t. bowling said...

In his defense, corn is a vegetable....and listed as an ingredient in a bag of corn chips...so corn chips it is for everyone!! :) Unless you want something from the dairy group, then I would offer a bag of cheese curls. Happy Snacking, Aiden!

Love the stories, Amanda!