Friday, January 30, 2009

Prayer Time

I have been struggling with getting adequate time alone with God lately. I get in my Bible reading, but finding true quiet time to really talk to God has been difficult. I found myself the day after something important happened that I was suppose to pray about, saying, "Oh, I forgot." So, those of you who know me know that I am a list person...I decided to try a new system. I listed all the things that I wanted or needed to pray about that were not immediate, daily requests...you know, the things you want to remember, but take the back burner to the things in front of your face, like your sick kids! I numbered each item and made a scale at the bottom of the list for each day of the week. Then I divided the numbers up equally between the days. Each morning, I glance at my list and find the item number I am to pray for, then throughout the day, even if I don't get to stop and have true quiet time, I mention those request to God. I keep those requests on my mind all day. That way, I am getting prayer time for all the needs. Some days are better than others, but this is my second week to try it and it is working for me so far! I know some of you make think I am crazy, but maybe you should try something different in your prayer time, too. I have also tried writing letters to God. This way, my mind doesn't wander into all of the areas of things I need to do and I can truly talk to God!

1 comment:

Tim said...

Actually, it sounds like a great idea. You describe a problem I believe we all stuggle with. We all have the issue of getting too busy with the day-to-days and if were not careful and intentional about maintaining our walk, our relationship will suffer. Thanks for sharing your method of being intentional.